Thursday, August 9, 2007

Not Again!

Well, that was sure ugly. I finally have a day that legitimizes some of my decision making. I had one stock left this morning, and it's gone now. Down .50%. I still haven't gotten things figured out.

I almost jumped back in this morning. There were quite a few indicators that things were looking much better. It didn't take much to get the market all skittered. My screens are doing horribly with several stocks losing over 10% so far this week. VSEC was down 20% today and that was my most interesting candidate.

This is the first time since I started trading back in 2003 that my performance is beating most of my screens. Usually the dumb screens make me look foolish for trying to manage them. These last few weeks have ingrained in my brain the importance of risk management.

I hope everybody out there is using this craziness as a learning tool. I learn the most when thing are working against me. It's good to reevaluate and think through your trading philosophies. Don't be discouraged by this (unless you've lost everything). There are plenty of opportunities coming our way. Take a break and enjoy life and let the market take care of itself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My screens have been getting cremated for the last two weeks. I actually trade my screens, which means my account has been getting cremated for the last two weeks, but I'm still up 40% on the year, so what's a little volatility ;)

Congrats on the WSJ mention.

Scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott said...

You are really kicking it if you're still up 40%. I'm getting close to 30% now. I wish I would have stayed out the last couple of weeks because I'd be sitting at 40% as well.

Scott said...

I love it when people talk percentages. Why are there so few folks out there that post what kind of returns they are making. I eat that stuff up.