Thursday, August 16, 2007

Don't be a wimp

It's times like these that separate out people who beat the market and those who don't. Wimpy traders will be disheartened by several frustrating weeks and quit--possibly forever. They often jump to another strategy that continues to lose money and they grow even more frustrated. It's easy to do, but it is one of the worst things you can do.

The thoughts are difficult to stop. I know that over the long term, my strategy blows away the market. Even though I know that, these last few weeks have shaken my confidence a bit. We tend to have built-in biases that emphasize the downturns and obsess over losses. It's all part of trading, and the sooner you're able to handle a loss with the same emotions that you handle a gain the better off you'll be.

I've learned a ton during the last few weeks. Hopefully, I'll be able to use what I've learned and become a better trader in the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you summirze on what you have learnt in last few weeks..

Seems like today was capitulation day. The markets is down by 10% from the 52 week highs, which usually signifies correction in bull market.. we will see if that is true in next 1-2 months. Even if the market rises, it will do one more test to the lows and should bounce off..

Scott said...

I'll write about what I learned this Sunday.