Sunday, April 20, 2008

AAII Stock Screens

Most of you know that I cut my teeth on AAII's Stock Screens. I have been following them for several years and I love their simplicity. Moneysuckle (of the complicated poker post) has put together some information on why he has chosen just a few screens among the several that AAII shares each month. The results he discusses are assuming monthly re-balancing and holding all stocks that qualify in the screen.

Buffet averaged 25-30% a year compounded to amass his fortune. Of course, he dodged a lot of taxes with his buy and hold strategy. I cite this as a baseline to judge the AAII screens.
In order to get a total (pre-tax) return of 1000% over 10 years, you need to average 26% a year. A 1500% return over 10 years is 39% compounded per year. A 2000% 10-year return is 50% per year compounded.
So, when I look at the AAII screens, I am looking for anything with a total return of 1000% or more since 1998 - or returns Buffet would be happy with. I know, of course, that I'll likely be paying 28% cap gains tax on my profits, so I need as much cushion as possible.
The other things I am looking for in these screen results:
1. Consistency in returns. If a screen has a 1200% total return, but has 6 winning years and 4 losing years, that's not as attractive to me as a 1200% screen with 9 winning years and 1 losing year. When a screen has a big return but several losing years, it implies that it is not suitable for use in all market conditions.
2. No horrible years. I consider a horrible year a double digit loser.
3. Emphasis on recent performance. If a screen has a great total return, but 1998-1999 played a big role in it and recently it hasn't done as well, I will downgrade the screen.
4. 15 or less qualifying stocks on average. I don't want to invest in more than 20 positions at a time, and I am really interested in 6-12 positions at a time. Therefore, a screen that gives me 45 qualifying stocks on average is of marginal use. Further, if I think I can screen the screen (like with Zacks rankings), then the more stocks I am screening out with Zacks, the more the AAII total return % becomes meaningless since I am doing something completely different than AAII did. Finally, if I invest the same in each stock, if I use a screen that produces 45 stocks and 1 that produces 15, I will end up weighting the 45 screen more. Which is probably bad since Zweig and CANSLIM have the best results, and they produce fewer stocks.
With that in mind, let's examine the candidates.
Currently, Graham Enterprising Investor is at 923%. It produces 4 qualifying stocks per month. It lost money in 1998 and 1999. While the losses were small (single digit), the market had great years in 1998 and 1999. Thus, this screen vastly underperformed the market in those years. It has vastly outperformed the market since. In fact, from 2000-2007, it's total return is 1109% (which is over 50% per year compounded for 8 years!!). This tells me that the screen works well in periods when fundamentals matter. Fundamentals didn't matter much in 1998-99 - it was mania. Finally, the screen is up this year! I will use this screen for current market conditions.
Foolish Small Cap 8 Revised - 623.1%. Through 2007, this screen was very impressive at nearly 1000% 10-year total return. Plus, it had 9 winning years in 10. It's only loss was small (3.9% in 2004). Otherwise, it made at least 12% every year. Very consistent. Plus, it produces only 7 passing stocks a month on average. However, this year, it is down 35%. Until I can figure out what's going on, I am not planning on using this screen. I am going to keep an eye on it, however.
O'Shaughnessy Growth - 652%. Another very consistent screen. 10 straight winning years of at least 10% gains. Until this year (down 13%). But it produces 50 stocks per month. Not suitable for my purposes, but I will watch it.
O'Shaughnessy Small Cap Growth & Value 985% - Another impressive screen. 9 excellent years and flat in 2002. But it's losing this year (down 13%). Plus it produces 25 stocks a month. Not suitable for my purposes, but I will watch it.
O'Shaughnessy Tiny Titans - 2262%. Awesome total return. But poor recent performance. $100 invested in Jan 2005 would be $114 today. Clearly, the weakening dollar has helped the larger companies recently (who have international operations) at the expense of small domestic companies. This may explain the drop off in performance. Plus, it produces 25 stocks a month - too many for my purposes.
Value on the Move - PEG with Est Growth - 833%. Another 1000% winner with 10 straight winning years until 2008 (down 15%). After a poor 1998-99, it made 970% from 2000-2007 or 49% compounded, which is incredible. But it produces an average of 47 stocks a month. Not suitable for my current purposes.
Zweig - 2107%. By far the best, most consistent screen on AAII from 1998-2007. Never returned less than 17% a year. 10 straight winning years in all sorts of market conditions. Until this year. I am willing to forgive it 2008 (down 12%). I am also willing to forgive the "slowdown" from 2005-07 when it "only" earned 18-27% a year. However, I am keeping my eye on Zweig to make sure it doesn't go south on me. Produces 15 stocks a month on average, in my sweet spot. I will use Zweig.
CANSLIM - 1471%. Excellent total return. Very consistent. 9 winning years of at least 20% a year vs. 1 modest losing year (3.8% in 2004). All on 9 stocks a month. Down only 3% this year, which beats the market. My second favorite screen behind Zweig. I will use CANSLIM
Est Rev Up 5% - 1302%. Excellent total return, but got a huge boost in 1998-99. This screen focuses on positive earning surprises, and everyone was buying/selling on news (instead of fundamentals) back in 98-99. Still, had excellent years in 2003-07. But it produces 43 stocks a month. Plus, when I cross-screen Zweig and CANSLIM through Zacks, I get stocks with good earnings surprises. As you might imagine, more of the Est Rev up 5% stocks get 1 ranks in Zacks than Zweig stocks do. So, if I used this screen, I'd be heavily diluting Zweig. I will watch it, but I don't plan to use it.
So, there's my analysis of the screens. I will focus on Zweig, CANSLIM and Graham Enterprising, which should produce a combined ~30 stocks a month. Edited for Zacks 1-2 ranks, that will bring it down to a manageable 6-12 stocks a month.
I plan to fully invest my portfolio each week, and invest in each stock equally. So, at 1% risk, 12 stocks means I need to put a 12% stop loss on, and 6 stocks means I need to put a 6% stop loss on. I saw your 2007 stats. For Zacks 1 + Zweig, your average loss as -3.2% on your losing trades. Therefore, I'd think a 6% stop loss is way sufficient. Unless you had a lot of experience with stocks losing more than 6% off the bat and coming back to be winners. Which I doubt.

Theses are the types of stats that I love to gather for myself. I think that thinking through issues like these often make you a much better trader. I know it has helped me put together my own ideas, and has helped me tremendously during periods of drawdowns.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a #1 in the Zweig this screen! KEX came off the screen list, but it's still a #1.

Interesting.....

Anonymous said...

I think KEX dropped due to the PE<1.5 MedianPE test. Does anyone know what SIPRO uses for MedianPE? It likely would have fallen recently with lower earnings reported in past week.

This screen factor is one of the least important to follow if you own KEX. If you are ahead on the stock, then set a tight stop to protect your gains and limit downside.

One thing I've been wrestling with is how to follow the screens and my current thinking is that the screens best tell you what to buy but you have to do a little more more on the sell decision. This came to me last week when NGS which dropped off the screen due to PE<1.5 Median PE. If you sold, you would not have had benefit of its 14% return this past week. (Sadly I didn't own it as I am still learning this game. Kudos to Rick though if he hung on to it.)

I see AIRM, MTW and ANDE dropping as their 26w Rel Strength are below 0.

Good luck for the coming week.

Anonymous said...

Rick,

Nice pass on NGS! I don't hod ANDE but the 'technicals' are going sideways on it right now with a slight negative bias. I look at MACD, DMI and moving averages mostly.

I am confronting the few stocks to invest in as well following ZZTop (Zw+Zacks1). I am considering expanding the Zweig parameters a bit and/or going Zacks 1 or 2, and even 3 if it has moved up from 4. Additionally, I am likely to look at Revisions Up 5%.

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , probably curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct partner utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://ifacifil.bigheadhosting.net/qytudem.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You may , probably curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper companion utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://ehyvyvyzy.servetown.com/igafyz.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
might , perhaps curious to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct companion utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://rypubehap.arcadepages.com/tahofug.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Point and figure trading said...

I have found that first searching for fundamentally solid stocks and then trading those based on the point and figure method is a very good trading method.

Mac

Unknown said...

It's amazing how the Zweig screen has done so poorly after being successful for so long. For the period 3/31/04 to 3/31/14, the Zweig screen gave just a +6.6% return. I wonder how things turned out for "Moneysuckle."
Moneysuckle is continuing the Buffett myth by writing that "Buffet averaged 25-30% a year compounded to amass his fortune." The roughly 25% gain per annum that Buffett himself touts, is an increase in book value, not yearly gains in stock. Always keep in mind that Buffett was a millionaire no later than age 26, years before Berkshire Hathaway was formed.

Unknown said...

For the 10-year period from early 2004 to 2014, the Zweig screen has returned just +6.6%. It is surprising that it did so poorly after many years of outperformance. I wonder how things turned out for "Moneysuckle." Moneysuckle is continuing the Buffett myth by writing that "Buffet averaged 25-30% a year compounded to amass his fortune." The roughly 25% gain per annum that Buffett himself touts, is an increase in book value, not yearly gains in stock. Always keep in mind that Buffett was a millionaire no later than age 26, years before Berkshire Hathaway was formed.