Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Time to quit whining

I know I've been on a downward spiral of whining and misery these last couple of weeks. And although I've been kicked in the shins repeatedly by this ugly market, I still have a lot to be thankful for during this season.

For a couple of years I celebrated Thanksgiving in Timisoara, Romania with my wife and friends. We cooked 5 anorexic chickens to feed 10 people. The heads and the feet we're included with the chickens, but we didn't cook those (there is nothing more unappetizing than chicken feet in my opinion).

Despite having very little, our Romanian friends were the most grateful and happy people that I have ever met. I look back on those celebrations fondly as they taught me incredible lessons about what it truly means to appreciate friends, family and life.

These days my job is living with and taking care of 8 teenage girls. They come from all sorts of backgrounds, but many of them have had some pretty awful childhoods. It is quite a privilege for me and my wife to introduce a happy and reflective Thanksgiving day to many of them who can't remember a happy holiday.

Thanksgiving is a busy time for us (we're having over 35 people eat with us this year), but it is always a great time to reflect on how good I have it. Here is a short list of things that I am thankful for this year:

  • A loving God who refuses to toast my innards when I act like an idiot
  • A loyal and loving wife who allows me to risk our hard-earned money in the crazy world of stocks
  • Parents who taught me well and continue to give me wisdom and advice
  • Two great kids who love their mom and dad and are a lot of fun to be around
  • A great career that allows me to pursue my interests and influence lives
  • Living in a great nation that allows its citizens to be free and to pursue their dreams
  • Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and pistachio nuts
I encourage everyone out there to make the most of this special holiday. Put this dumb market on the back burner and enjoy your time with your friends and family!

No comments: