Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Dang It!

I just can't seem to catch a break, and I'm guessing a lot of traders are feeling that way. I felt pretty good about getting some of my money back today after my stupid decisions yesterday. I looked things up after lunch and YIKES! After the S&P broke through 1425 I got a little panicky and sold most of my positions. I probably should have waited for the August lows (around 1406) but I didn't one to compound my dumb decisions of yesterday.

We'll see how things close. It looks like things are coming back a bit right now. What a confusing market.

This is good though. I am learning a lot about trading in a really volatile market that is making everyone (including me) scratch their heads.
You'll notice that the S&P is getting dangerously close to the "time to get out" indicator (where the Price line (red and black) meets the 20 month moving average (blue bar).

This indicator does a pretty good job of predicting long term trends. Note that the last time the lines intersected was mid-2003 when this bull market started. The next couple of months should give us a good idea if this bull is over for a while.

Hopefully it won't last for 3 years like the last time. Or maybe we'll have a repeat of 1998 where it bounced off and went on to new heights for the next two years. Time will tell. The important thing is to be careful out there.

No comments: