Friday, November 30, 2007

Month in Review 11-30-07

Yuck! That's about all I can say about November. The portfolio lost 23.52% this month. I think a lot of that loss was unnecessary and stemmed from my lack of commitment to my trading plan. I've learned a lot these last couple of months, but I think it has been a mistake to apply everything that I've learned at once. I'm trying to incorporate to many ideas into my original trading plan and it ended up hurting me this month.

Compare my returns to the Zweig Relative Strength screen that's my favorite. It MADE over 9% this month. While I fiddled and faddled with charts, screens, radio show diatribes, and news, my dumb screen made money without any brain power. I'm starting to sound like a broken record.

GHM made 55% this month. I bought it at all the wrong times because I kept trying to time things just right.

We'll see how the rest of the year pans out. The market has taught me quite a few lessons this month and I'll be doing a lot of thinking, analyzing, and reading to try to apply the lessons to my trading next year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you say trading account and long term account, can you say what is the amount/capital you have in both these different accounts.. thanks

Scott said...

I don't divulge exact amounts because I don't think it's helpful. However, I'm pretty aggressive and the amounts in both accounts are about 50/50. My long term accounts have both doubled this year while my trading account has sucked--hmmmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

I lost 9% in November. About a week ago, I was down 16% for the month, so things could have been a lot worse. YTD 35%.

What's you're strategy in your long term accounts?

Kirk is also performing better in his long term accounts, so you're in good company. My guess is that he hasn't even made 5% in his trading account.

Scott said...

My long term accounts aren't really all that long term as far as trading goes. I just have a longer outlook on them since I'm planning to use the money way down the road.

I think my success in those accounts stemmed from the fact that I stuck to what has worked in the past and I didn't allow any of my new trading madness to set in.