Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Benefits of blogging


One of the best things I did this year was starting this blog. Even though it gets tiresome sometimes to write (especially after an awful day), the encouragement and ideas that continually flow in keep me motivated and excited about the future.

I love it when people write me and share their own triumphs and horror stories. It's comforting to know there are people out there that are taking it on the chin when I am too. The comments that the blog receives are almost always encouraging and positive.

This has been my most productive year yet as far as learning goes. I'll be sharing some of the things I've learned in my year-end wrap up. Hopefully by then, the market will have turned around and given us all a profitable Christmas.

Thanks to all of you who take the time to enhance my dumb blog and keep it coming!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting that you would post this one about starting the blog.

You once compared the process of your investing to that of lifting weights. I happened to be looking back through my own online lifting log today. I am not making any money, but I am trying to get stronger. I have been feeling a bit glum about working out lately. I'm not doing enough cardio & have eliminated some cornerstone strength exercises from my routines. I was busy lamenting about my perceived weaknesses. As I looked through all of my posts, though, I see that I was suffering some joint & back pain that is all but gone now. I have lost weight. I dealt with weakness from surgery. Even though I am not doing "enough" cardio, I know that 2 years ago, I wasn't doing any. So, I still have some things that I can count as successes. I ran a mile race this year! I can still bench over 300 anytime. And an old standby is to compare myself (perhaps unfairly) to those who don't work out. At least I am getting some of the benefits of my consistency and I am strong enough in some areas to think I may be able to set a personal record again soon.

SO over 4 years, a 28% yearly average for you may be disappointing. But for most of us who "set it & forget it" when it comes to investments, that kind of return would be a dream. Obviously, you are working very hard & expect more, but maybe some perspective will help you feel good about what you are able to accomplish. I admire your drive & hope to see you become a millionaire soon. 10 years at the absolute outside. I wouldn't be surprised if it were 5 or less.