Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Your Next Great Stock


I just finished up the book Your Next Great Stock--How to Screen the Market for Tomorrow's Top Performers by Jack Hough. Mr. Hough is a contributor to several magazines and news shows. I have enjoyed his Stock Screen article in Smart Money magazine over the past couple of years.

Hough has put together an easy read that's actually fun. Most of the book focuses on why stock screening works, while the last half of the book helps the reader put together some stock screens of their own.

Even though I've been creating screens of my own for years, I really enjoyed what Hough had to offer. I was never bored (as is often the case with poorly written stock books). Hough presented some very interesting history about the stock market and about stock picking.

He also does a nice job detailing why stock screens work, why they are the best way to find great stocks, and how to keep emotions at bay. He goes on to explain the mechanics of screening and how to put screens together on your own. He lists several screening tools that are free and some that carry a fee. One of his favorites is AAII's Stock Investor Pro (mine too).

Overall, if you are interested in stock screening, this is a great book that explains the process clearly with a sense of humor. If you are already comfortable creating your own screens, the book still offered a lot of encouragement and perhaps some new ideas for additional screening criteria.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Could you mention if this review follows a gift from the publisher to you as a blogger?

I trust your judgement but would like to put it into perspective.

Thanks!

Chris said...

I read a review of Hough's book a month or two ago in the Wall St. Journal (parent company of SmartMoney), and the book sounds interesting.

I am also a fan of Hough and the screening column in SmartMoney, although I very much preferred Paul Sturm, Hough's predecessor.

I recently bought Navellier's book - The Little Book That Makes You Rich, although I have not started it yet. BusinessWeek ran an excerpt from the book several months ago, and that prompted me to buy the book. It's an interesting little article, and can be found online here --

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_41/b4053102.htm

Scott said...

I received no gifts from the publisher. I bought the book with my own hard-earned (and depreciating at the moment) money.

It is kind of you to think that someone would value my opinion enough to pay me for it. Maybe someday.