Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Late to the party

I've decided that this market timing stuff just does not fit with my personality. I think it is easier for me to face a drawdown in my portfolio than to sit out while the market does its thing. Last week I missed out on a 10% gain for the portfolio because the indicators I watch said that we're still not out of the woods.

Maybe we aren't, but I'd be much better off right now if I had been fully invested. Maybe someday I'll have things so figured out that I can dance in and out of the market with emotionless conviction.

So, as of yesterday, I'm fully invested in my trading plan. Once again, my timing is way off and I'm losing money like crazy. But this is all part of the plan.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm always in, but I'm also down 14% for the year. Being down that much really sucks, but on a day to day basis it doesn't bother me at all. Stock screening works best when you are always in. It is, however, very hard to passively sit on your hands when the market is sucking cash out of your account.

Chad said...

Yeah... ugly, ugly day.

...and ugly.

Did I mention that today is just grossly ugly? I think all the traders are at the ticker-tape parade or something.

-Chad.

Anonymous said...

http://institutionalinvestor.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=1858490.. You are not alone..

Anonymous said...

Scott,

I have to give you credit for talking about losses. Do you know of any other blogger who actually admits to losing money in the market?