Friday, February 22, 2008

Week In Review 2-22-08

Well, that week sucked. My screens all did better than I did. I completely over traded this week and my portfolio shows it. I've got stocks from four different "systems" in my portfolio now and I've got so many that it is getting difficult to remember why I bought each one. Stupid. I know better, but I get so desperate to make money sometimes that I grasp at anything that looks like it will work. Like always, I ended up hurting myself much more than helping.

The Zweig MACD portfolio continues to lead the pack this year with another good showing of 3.32% this week. The best stock in the portfolio was WFR at 7.37%. The worst was KEX with a loss of 2.11%. The screen picked 11 stocks.

The Zweig Relative Strength top 5 made 3.37% for the week.

Zacks & Zweig lost 1.36% and had 3 picks--ANDE, KEX, WW.

The To The Moon screen lost 1.59%.

I'm adding the Zweig MACD screen to the side bar because I think it has potential. We'll see.

My portfolio is down nearly 14% which means I've lost nearly half of the 40% I made last year. I guess I shouldn't look at things that way, but I can't help it.

7 comments:

Scott said...

Rick,

I wish I had some way of doing it automatically. I just look at every Zweig stock (through stock investor pro) and run a chart on it on Sunday. I "buy" every stock that qualifies (positive MACD). This week it selected 11.

The results I posted were for taking just the highest RS stock each week. I've tracked that since 2004. I wish I would have tracked the whole screen. I'm learning.

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,

I went through the 18 Zweig stocks from this weeks AAII screen against the MACD. I got 12 that are positive? Some are hard to see on the small chart I was using. I'll list what I got, but feel free to delete that if you'd rather not have them listed out on here: AMED, ARG, FTI, GDI, GHM, HOS, KEX, NGS, PDE, UEPS, WATG, WFR, WW. Of these only ANDE and KEX have a 1 from Zacks.
Did I get that right according to your check?
Thanks

Scott said...

matt,

That's exactly what I got this week.

Anonymous said...

This may be silly, but have you tried to trade just the AAII Zweig screen monthly, with no alterations? I'm interested to know if anyone else is doing it. I just started this month, so no real results yet (although I am up 4% this month compared to near 0 for SPY).

Scott said...

I haven't traded the whole Zweig list but AAII follows what would happen if you did. They have a spreadsheet available on their website that shows what would happen if you traded the entire Zweig portfolio once a month.

Frederick said...

Scott,
I exported the AAII Zweig Screen yesterday which had (WW NGS GDI ARO ESL AIRM KAI AME ARG GHM ORCL MTW UEPS WFR AMED WATG). Then i pasted the above stocks into a spreadsheet using the SMF_Addin from Yahoo Groups. This supports RSIs of 3,6, and 12 months and MACDs of 20-50, 50-100, and 20-100 days. This lets me automate some of what I think you are charting by hand. This is a fantastic addin. I gather that you are using both RSIs and MACDS which detect change faster. As the SMF_Addin can be programmed what is the frequency you are using.

Scott said...

Frederick,

Thanks for the info. Sounds interesting and I'll look into it. Anything that can automate my silly processes would be great.

I'm just using a simple default daily chart in stockcharts. MACD is 12,26,9.