Friday, June 6, 2008

What the FLIP was that? Week in Review 6-6-08

Things were looking pretty sweet for me until today. I made .70% for the week after losing 3.46% today. I had a good pick in SQNM from my own research. I had a trailing stop on it and got out after a 20% gain. It went on to gain over 30% more yesterday and today. I think I need to change my strategy a bit.

The Zweig RS screen beat me again, of course. It made 3.75% for the week after falling 2.6% today. Once again my overthinking cost me. I hesitated on a clear signal for AEHR which made nearly 19% this week. GHM also had a good week gaining 8.69%. I didn't own it either.

Zweig MACD suffered a 3.37% loss for the week with ESL pulling it down 9.87%.

The major indexes are sucking wind again this year. After breaking even at the beginning of May they are back down to mid-April levels.

The good news for me is that I'm holding up pretty good despite the market's insanity. I'm even with the indexes which I don't mind when the market has been so erratic. I don't like to be even with the indexes when the bulls are running, but when the bears are in control, I'm satisfied to lose what the indexes lose.

Maybe someday I'll be able to make money no matter what the markets do. I think it's extremely difficult to do, but I know there are individual traders who do it. There's certainly no way I could trade for a living if I went nearly 6 months with no gains (besides drawing down my equity). We'll see how the rest of the year pans out, but this has been the most difficult year I've had trading.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,

Trying to make sure I'm tracking things correctly. I'm getting a 1.9% gain for the RS screen.
Monday's Open:
AEHR - 8.80
ARO - 34.91
GHM - 68.44
INXI - 13.01
FUQI - 11.43

Do I have those right?

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Scott. I know how easy it is to second guess your picks. It's easy to beat yourself up.

Based on your blog, I used the Zweig RS portfolio and then checked the recommended stocks against Zack's RW under the snapshot tab. Only two of the stocks in the RW were recommended as a strong buy one of them was AEHR. I bought it mid-week so I didn't realize the big gain. I just started the free two week trial to RW, so I didn't get in early enough to cross check AEHR.

Scott said...

Matt,

Here are the prices I used for Monday's opening.

AEHR 8.70
ARO 34.94
FUQI 11.28
GHM 68.44
INXI 12.63

I run the screen on Sunday, so the prices don't always correspond with what you pay on the open Monday morning, but I figure it all pretty much evens out over time.

Anonymous said...

My shortlist is

Port#1: IPHS UTSI WTSLA ZEUS JAS SPSX XIDE

Port#2: ENER MMR CSIQ CRK SCHN JAS AREX

Andy

Anonymous said...

I am laying low for the next few days. I have been trading small as my macro model called a 'negative return environment' in early Jan, but I've really turned negative on the environment with the Fed more concerned about inflation, the weaker dollar, housing and banking problems and out of control oil. Good companies can do well in bad times, but I want the odds fully in my favor. Until then, my bets will be small.

Only name I really like is DAR.

I see the GHM was kicked out of Zweig based on its PE rising beyond the median PE. JADE got the boot only for negative 26wk Rel Str.