Thursday, June 12, 2008

Mark's Question

Scott-

Can you go through what subscriptions you use other than AAII and Research Wizard?

Also, have you been more successful trading in and out of the Zweig screen as opposed to simply buying Monday at the open and holding.

Thanks,
Mark

I'm sorry I haven't been posting lately. The market has put me in a sour mood and nothing I'm doing seems to be working. This is the most frustrating six months that I've experienced in the last five years and I've been through a lot of frustrating times I assure you.

The only other subscriptions I have currently are to StockFetcher, Pitbull Investor, and Trade4Cash. I use StockFetcher to find stocks that meet my criteria--it is extremely easy to use and I get instant results. It's also extremely cheap for what it offers.

I use Pitbull Investor and Trade4Cash to gather ideas different from my own. I'm trying to go beyond screening into some technical analysis, and I gain a great deal of insight from both services (they are also both extremely reasonable for what they offer).

I have NOT been successful with making my own decisions using the Zweig screen. Aside from paring the whole screen down to 5 to 10 candidates based on relative strength and the Zacks ranking, every other attempt at improving the screen or setting productive stops have ended in disaster (I exaggerate--but you get the idea) for me.

I have ALWAYS been beat by the screens despite my brilliant attempts at making them better. This year has been particularly bad for me because I've been trying other ideas and ignoring the screens and I am getting my clock cleaned while the screens once again out-perform the market.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott,
Do you paper trade when the market is a pain, like now? I find it's a pretty good way to keep learning without losing money.

Anonymous said...

Follow your screens! This is not rocket science. The hardest thing to do is to accept that the screen outperforms you, Warren Buffet, Charles Kirk and the rest of the smart guys. Be smarter--follow your screens.

Anonymous said...

Zweig was up 8% in April.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Scott for answering my question so thoroughly. You have an excellent Blog. Keep it up.
Mark