Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Hello Again . . .

I apologize for my lack of posts lately. I thought school was a good excuse and then the market started sucking and that became my excuse. I will try to do a better job of keeping you informed about what's going on (as if you care). I know I enjoy looking at The Kirk Report, Ugly Chart, Stockbee, and others several times a day, and I'm disappointed when something new doesn't pop up. Charles Kirk is probably the best at having multiple posts every day so I rely heavily on his take on things each day.

I've actually had the best three-day stretch I've had in a long time. I've gained over 8 % since last Thursday which usually means that I am about to get my buttocks kicked. I'm going to hang in tight and we'll see what happens.

I've changed my strategy a bit lately after selling a couple of stocks too soon. I sold SQNM at 9.11 after gaining 20% on it. I had a trailing stop that grabbed most of that gain, but then the stupid thing went on to new highs that would have looked good in my portfolio.

The mantra we hear all the time in trading is "sell your losers and let your winners run". I sold this winner, and many others too soon. So, this month I'm using a scaling in technique on all my stocks that have gained one or more times what I risked. The last few days have worked out well as I've let my winners run. Here are a couple, AGU and CF:






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look at the charts from these three screens: Zweig, Est Rev Up 5% and O'Shaughnessy Small Cap Growth and Value. I sort the last two on RS-26 and RS-13 and the result is mostly charts with very nice trending patterns. I hardly ever see trending charts on the Zweig -- and that worries me.

Thanks!
Andy

Anonymous said...

Wow, those charts are pretty but the scaling stuff is way too complicated. Here's what I do: on Friday I sell everything that fell off my screen and buy all the stuff that's new on my screen.

Anonymous said...

Scott-
Do you need a subscription to stockcharts.com to create those, or is it apart of their free service. Also, the one on 5.18.08 is of interest to me as well.
Thank you,
Mark

Scott said...

Mark,

I have a subscription to StockCharts at about $10 a month. It allows me to draw the pretty charts that you see.