Monday, March 3, 2008

The Year of Learning

Since my 5 to 10 year plan is to eventually be able to trade for a living, I have designated a year to spending time and money learning all I can about trading. I started last summer and I budgeted about $5,000 toward the task. My car has 130,000 miles on it so I figure that if I can keep driving it and figure out how to make a buck, I'm way ahead of my neighbor who trades his cars in every 3 years.

I have already spent most of the money. So far, I am very unimpressed with most of the information I've spent money to acquire.

I just finished watching the Optionetics DVDs tonight. To be honest, I really don't know how somebody can feel good about spending $3,000 to attend one of these trading seminars. There is very little actionable information that is given out in these seminars. The information that is shared is often so technical that I doubt if 10% of the folks in the audience have any idea what the guys are talking about.

The same thing goes for the Trend Trading To Win video and lecture series. I watched all of those DVDs as well and felt there was very little to use successfully.

I'll probably post a series this summer about the money I spent, and what I learned over the year. There are some services that I feel were worth the money, but I'd like to give it a few more months before I share what I've learned.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That will be very interesting Scott!

Cheers
Xaguar

Anonymous said...

Nice, ANDE gave back all my gains since last week and GDI gave back all the gains I had from yesterday. This market stinks. I'm still negative for the year and haven't had a positive week yet. sigh.

Anonymous said...

I'm finding this to be true too in my trading education. These vendors are selling on course after another but the detail is vague or explained in another course.