Friday, March 28, 2008

Week in Review 3-28-2008

This week felt pretty good. I made 2.71%, and I followed my trading plan while hardly looking at the market while it was open.

The best performing screen was Zweig RS 5 which made 1.70%. WFR really pulled the thing down with its 13.80 loss. For some reason I avoided buying WFR all week which dramatically improved my returns. I can't even remember now why I didn't buy it. Apparently I'm a genius.

Zweig and Zacks continues to lead the pack for 2008. It lost .40% this week but still has a gain of 12.93% for the year. WFR dragged it down to while NGS at 10.01% helped even the four stocks out.

I was a bit surprised at the market's weakness Thursday and Friday. It seem like things are still being driven by bad news. I expect things to go pretty well next week but I'm an idiot, so please don't listen to me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott,

Were you mechanical this week? I know I wasn't and it cost me. I started with the RS 5 and added one more from the Zacks #1 that wasn't on the 5. All good...but then I read too much and switched to a bear position buying some short ETF's. Would have been fine but I sold them too soon....ended the week up very slightly though...but I could have had a good week if I'd either A: Stayed with the RS 5 all week only selling WFR when it hit 8% loss) or B: Trusted my shorts and held on to the close on Friday While still selling WFR at 8% loss.

The problem with B though, is it is not mechanical investing and it caused my emotions to get in the way. BUT, i would have been up 4.7% for the week.... I hate this. :-)

Scott said...

Matt,

I can't say that I was completely mechanical this week (I didn't buy WFR for example), but I did stick to my trading plan. I sold mechanically and hardly watched market action at all. For me, that's a huge step. When I trade that way, losses become part of "doing business" rather than "I'm an idiot for buying/selling that stock!"

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,

Could be a rough week....I'm going to hold my positions from last week (ARO, ESL, and WW) but I won't be adding to them. Now the question is, will I stay away from bear ETF's...hmmm? :-)

Anonymous said...

Scott,
Using the newest data set I did the Zweig Screen. I then went to Keelix to look at the short screens results. I noticed the Zweig 26 screen there. It was identical to mine except it included NPK which did not come up on mine. Did you get NPK this week? If not, any idea why it's showing up in Keelix?
Thanks,

Scott said...

Matt,
I don't know where NPK came from either.