Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Putting things in perspective

It's times like these that shake out the wimpy traders. I'd be wimpy too if I was just starting out. I'm down over 15% now. That hurts. It's the most I've ever been down.

But if I go back in time, I can see that since I started trading in March of 2003 (blue arrow) this is the most that the market has struggled (indicated by the percent of stocks above their 200 day moving average). So I should expect to be down (and so should you unless you're some sort of genius).

Looking back, it would have been nice to be able to predict this decline. I should have stayed in cash. Maybe someday I'll be knowledgeable enough to time the market correctly. Right now, I don't have a clue.

The key (for me at least) is to remain committed to a trading plan that I know blows away every mutual fund and index out there. It's easy for me to question my sanity when things aren't going my way. The best thing I can do is to put things into perspective and avoid the emotional turmoil that rough times in the market create.

Here's some perspective:

1) I'm still performing better than the NASDAQ which is down 15.77% YTD.
2) The indexes have given up most (NASDAQ) or all (S&P 500) of their gains from last year. I've given up half of mine so far.
3) I'm young and relatively inexperienced when it comes to the stock market. I have a lot to learn and a long time to do it.
4) I've never lost money over a year's time.
5) According to AAII, the Zweig screen held month to month since 1997 has NEVER lost money in a year's time. In 2002 it still managed to gain 16.9%. The average yearly gain since 1998 for the Zweig screen is 42%!

So, don't get all bummed out about a couple of lousy months! (I need this kind of perspective more than anyone!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,

also, if we knew the market better, maybe we would have been in QID or SKF which are ultra shorts...QID shorts the NASDQ and it's up 10% over one month. SKF shorts Financials and is up 27% for the same month. WOW. Me, I've been cash. Just the past three weeks I've waded back in and I've lost over all three weeks. But I'm confident I'll be positive before the end of the year. Thanks for the perspective!

Anonymous said...

The 3.5% I made in Feb, is now gone. I did add another 4K to my account (2007 Roth contribution), so I must be optimistic.