Friday, July 6, 2007

Week In Review 7-06-2007

This week illustrates why mechanical trading often trumps putting lots of intellectual labor into choosing stocks. Conventional wisdom suggested that this was a very poor week to trade.

  1. The July 4th Holiday split the week in half
  2. Volume during this week is historically tepid
  3. Market news was infrequent and uninspiring
  4. A lot of folks took the week off
  5. The market is way overbought

I was contemplating cashing out and taking a break with everyone else this week. But I stayed fully invested. It wasn't because I had a good idea how things would work out this week. It was because I really have no idea what's going to happen and most other folks don't as well. It is when I start to get cocky and think I've got things figured out that the market sinks me like a 10 foot put.

If I had opted out, I would have passed up my best week in over a year. The portfolio was up 9.43%. My best screen continues to give credence to its name and it blew the others away 13.79% (To the Moon). My worst screen was still decent at 5.82% (Zweig and Zacks #1).

2 comments:

Matt said...

Holy crap stockpunk - that screen is appropriately titled. Any hints for those of us trying to construct this screen? I was thinking that it has the following elements:
1. high relative strength
2. earnings growth

Any hints? :)

Anonymous said...

Nice performance ... In one of ur posts u say that u don't have the stomach to bc the strategy is very volatile. Do u know anythin about derivatives? With those u can set up a strategy that always makes money, doesnt matter which way the stock goes, up or down. All it needs is a strategy that picks stocks that make big moves up or down ...

Ur to the moon strategy seems to provide such stocks ... Impressive results though.

A fellow trader