Monday, July 23, 2007

Some Good, Some Bad

My trading today was good overall. For the most part I avoided losers and kept winners. I sold all of my "copy cat" trades. It is time I stuck to the program that has made nearly 40% so far this year. Why am I grabbing trades from others who are making less and whose systems I don't understand? Stupid.

I put a 3% trailing stop on DRYS and it triggered after gaining 3% and dropping back down 3%. It then went on to gain 4% again. It no longer appeared on my screens, but I could have played it a little better.

I avoided mechanical trading today. SMTX lost 7.75%. SYNL continues to be a dog. What's wrong with that stock?

My portfolio was up 1.85% today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

StockPunk,

Can you give us some insights into your trading strategy? Do you buy and hold the stocks that meet the screen on the right side of your blog or do you trade in and out of them throughout the week?

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I kind of cherry pick what I think are good buys out of all my screens. I have a couple of more that I don't list, but for the most part, the stocks I own appear on the screens that I list.

I tend to own between 3 and 7 stocks from the screens and my goal is to hold them as long as they appear on the screens.

After a big run, I'll tighten stops to lock in profits.