Saturday, June 23, 2007

StockPunk Stock Screens

Many StockPunk visitors have shown interest in the way I screen and how I trade stocks. I was a bit hesitant at first to reveal exactly what I was doing because of the irrational fear that if I revealed how I did things that it would stop working. That's silly. The market is too large and too complex to work that way.

I wouldn't be able to trade the way I do without what I've learned from others. Most of what I have learned has been from others sharing their wisdom for free. I think the constant sharing of information is what makes the internet an incredibly powerful tool.

Each week I will post my screens for the week along with their YTD returns and the compounded returns since I began tracking the screen. The results are from my own calculations of screens that I've followed on a weekly basis since 2005.

Since I don't have much time for analysis and I get distracted easily when I have a large list of stocks to look over, I concentrate on just a few stocks each week. My main focus has always been the Zweig screen that AAII has been tracking since 1998. My goal continues to be to use my own ideas to experiment with the Zweig screen to create my own screening technique that beats the basic screen. My goal has also been to limit my portfolio to between 5 and 10 stocks so that I can easily track and research each stock with the limited time I have.

I think it will be helpful to show the weekly fluctuations of the screens to give everybody an idea of what they could expect from their own small portfolio of stocks.

Many of you have expressed a great deal of interest in my use of Zack's Research Wizard as well. I've developed my own screens with RW as well and will post those screens on a weekly basis. The results of those screens are from backtesting and the verdict is still out on how accurate Research Wizard is in its backtesting algorithms.

Changes to the screens will be posted on Monday morning before the market opens.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like reading your blog and want to say thank you for sharing the results of your screens. It's good to know that good results are achieveable and not just hype in order for people to buy some subscription.