Monday, June 11, 2007


My favorite days are when the broad market does nothing (or loses) and I make some money. That happened today. I was up 1.39%. I was on the road until 7 pm so I wasn't able to look at the market. Those Wi-Fi hotspots along the interstate aren't powerful enough when you're driving by at 70 mph.

I have modified my strategy a bit this week. I have really been impressed by the way relative strength plays a role in the performance of my screens. My sub-screen of AAII's Zweig screen that looks for the top 5 relative strength stocks is blowing my other screens out of the water. Lately the model portfolio is up nearly 40% YTD.

I've written before about how out of those 5 stocks, the stocks with the highest RS outperform the others substantially. So I'm planning to put more weight on the highest relative strength stocks in the portfolio. That paid off today --SYNL brought in over 5%.

The highest RS stock in the AAII's Zweig screen (rebalanced weekly) has made nearly 95% YTD.

I'm glad I listened to my gut and stayed out of AZZ (I really didn't have any money to buy it anyway). One of my few good calls (unless it zooms up 25% tomorrow).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. what period do you use to for your RS calculatation?

Anonymous said...

I use 1/2 year (26 week) relative strength in my screens. I've found that it produces the best results.