Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Not too shabby

I debated about going all in today and I haven't had much time to monitor things, but I'm pretty happy with my decision making so far. The portfolio was up 2.81%.

I've got myself spread out a little more than usual. I own 10 stocks when my average is 5. With things as volatile as they have been, I figured it might behoove me to broaden my stops a bit. Wider stops might have helped me in August (see my previous post for some reasoning).

I'm checking out another stock service this month. As I learn more and become more comfortable with my style of trading, I like to go back and review things that have piqued my curiosity in the past. I'll let you know about my experience in more detail next month.

4 comments:

Nick M. said...

Scott, nice going with your gain! The last few weeks have been rather hectic and very detrimental to a trader’s confidence. Gains such as these help restore ones confidence and self-efficacy. It’s nice to see you getting back into the positive swing of things. Keep it up!

-Nick (ambitionsasatrader)

Scott said...

Thanks Nick. It seems like every stock you mention goes up 30%! Do you have some direct line into the market?

I encourage you to post your gains. I'm sure they'd make mine look like chump change.

Nick M. said...

Scott,

I wish it was that easy. In reality, for every stock that I pick that moves up 30%, I may a big handful of stocks that I had to sell for a loss. Its all about keeping your losses small and managable and holding and adding onto your top performing stocks. As far as posting gains are concerned, I have thought about it and may begin sharing this information with readers in the near term future. As of now, I am still working on my strategy (trying to refine it) so my performance is all over the place (up, as well as down).
I am also impressed by how well SILC has acted during the last few days. The chart pattern on SILC is a winner. There were very few stocks that were able to shake off todays decline and I'm sure glad that SILC was one of them!

-Nick (ambitionsasatrader)

Scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.