Sunday, October 12, 2008

Zweig Screen Down 43.74%

My beloved Zweig Stock Screen that takes the 5 highest relative strength (26 week) stocks is now down 43.74%. Since I began tracking the screen I have hardly ever seen it underwater and have NEVER seen it down this month.

Last year I blindly followed the screen and made a nice 40%. My schizophrenic trading this year has been a blessing in disguise. Although I abandoned my bread and butter screens and was regretting it for most of the year, this last few months has proven that blindly following screens doesn't always work.

4 comments:

Matt said...

It's time to buy!

Anonymous said...

Whoops! I guess mentioning that a screen made money is no longer considered an appropriate comment for this blog. The final verdict is that you simply don't have what it takes to follow an objective, quantitative system. Don't feel too bad--most people don't.

Scott said...

I post the results of the Zweig screen at the end of each week regardless of whether it makes money or not.

Stop being so angry.

Anonymous said...

I have backtested the Zweig screen to double check AAII's stock investor pro data. The flaw that I have found with AAII's reported performance is that they assume a stock is bought on the last active trading day before the screen data is released. It is impossible to buy a new stock listed on a screen on a Friday when the data download is not available until Saturday or Sunday. I am now backtesting perfomance using closing prices on the first trading day after the data is released (usually Monday).

Have any others verified this?