Friday, October 3, 2008

Week In Review

According to the Kirk Report, here are the numbers for the week:

The S&P 500 declined -9.38%, Dow -7.34%, the Nasdaq -10.81%, and the Russell 2000 -12.12%. That's pretty nasty.

For the year the S&P 500 sits at -25.14%, the DOW -22.16% and the NASDAQ -26.58%.

I did pretty well this week despite the carnage. Amazingly, I made most of my money on long positions (thank you Cambell's Soup).

For the week I was up 7.25R.

Finally, for the first time since June, my portfolio is doing better than the indexes and the stock screens I follow. I still have a ways to go before I get to break even (I'm still down 16.63%--which includes the IRAs that I manage), but the last month of trading has been very encouraging as I've gained confidence in a new style of trading that has done well during an extremely difficult market.

If I had risked 1% of my capital on every trade starting in September I would be at break even (YTD) by now. As I gain confidence in my system (and my ability to trade it), I should see percentage returns that are closer to my "R" values.

No comments: