Sunday, October 12, 2008

Prudent Speculator & Stock Superstars Report

Occasionally I enjoy comparing my performance to The Prudent Speculator which is a newsletter service that is highly rated by Hulbert Financial Digest--a well-respected stock newsletter rating news source. For a newsletter service, The Prudent Speculator has had a fantastic run averaging over 20% return for the past 20 years.

This year hasn't gone so well as you can see in the box to left. The pain of this market crash has been wide spread and affected nearly everyone--including funds and services that usually perform quite well.

Don't feel bad if your portfolio is down 30 to 50%. Nearly everybody's is.

Hopefully, we'll be presented with an amazing buying opportunity in the coming years. I think it's much more easy to make money when the market is going up and I look forward to a time when things turn around.

I still believe that the market has a remarkable ability to heal itself and absorb all manner of disasters. My foundations have been shaken a bit, and I have become hesitant to assume that I can make a living trading stocks. However, until they tell little guys like me that we can no longer trade, I still see opportunity out there.

I'm looking forward to the opening bell on Monday.


I also follow the performance of the Stock Superstars Report, a stock newsletter service provided by the folks at the American Association of Individual Investors (AAII). I have a great deal of respect for AAII, and I learned a great deal when I subscribed to the Stock Superstars Report. The newsletter introduced me to stock screening and helped me to create market beating returns.

YTD they are down 40.4%!! That means to get back to break-even (for the year) they'll have to make 67%!! Whoa!!

No comments: