Saturday, October 6, 2007

Tools I Use

My hard drive gets loaded with tons of stuff each week (photos, video files, programs) and I sometimes forget where everything went. I use WinDirStat to get a visual representation of my hard drive so I can find where those huge files are lurking and either archive them or get rid of them.

The program is free and a great tool for somebody that uses their computer for many different things (hopefully you're not so addicted to trading that you don't have other interests and hobbies)


Right now, my favorite stock screener is AAII's Stock Investor Pro. It's inexpensive (about $200 per year) and the build-in screens are invaluable for creating powerful watch lists. I've used it over the last three years and I've been very happy with it.







I use Scottrader Elite to monitor the market when I want up to date information. I usually only look at it during the open and close of the market because I can get too wrapped up in market swings during the day. It's a pretty powerful tool and free with a Scottrade account with over $25,000 of capital.




I use a Yahoo Widget to monitor my watch list during the day. The quotes are delayed 20 minutes and this helps me avoid the emotionalism I am so accustomed to. The widget hangs out on my desktop and updates itself regularly throughout the day. It gives me a nice visual on how things are going and it looks cool.

These are just a few of the tools I use on a daily basis. I plan to continue this "series" once a month to let you know what kind of tools I find especially helpful with the kind of trading I do.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting to see the tools you use. I like the screenshots.