Thursday, February 26, 2009

Frustrating


What a frustrating day. After the gap didn't fill, I went long on DIA only to be quickly stopped out with a stab beneath the 50 EMA. Then price formed a nice bear flag at 12:00 (first set of blue dotted lines) and I attempted to short and was told that the stock wasn't easy to borrow by my broker. A stock that trades 31 million shares in the day and it isn't easy to borrow?!!

I assumed it was a glitch and watched as the bear flag met its target. Price then set up another bear flag and I attempted to short it. Same message. I couldn't short it. Again the flag met its target as I sat idly by.

I then switched to SPY hoping to trade the next bear flag setup (I was pushing it with three in a row--that's pretty rare). I set my stop way too close to the 50EMA and barely stopped out as the 50 was breached for a moment. DANG IT!!

I immediately shorted again when SPY formed a couple of dojis near the 50 (first blue arrow). Price took a dive, just as predicted, but I was too bothered by my other trades and I move my stop to break even so that I wouldn't lose any more money.

Of course the price bounced off the 200 MA, came back up, took out my stop, formed a doji and then headed hard down. I was too exasperated with my losses to take the best trade of the day that would have made all my losses back (and more).

I'll need to pick myself up and brush myself off and see if I can do better tomorrow. The Office is on tonight, and that show usually seems to boost my spirits. I hope your day went better than mine.

No comments: