Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Month In Review -- November 2008

November was my worst month since I started day-trading in August. I lost 2.73R for the month.

November also took a toll on me psychologically. I just couldn't seem to make things work week to week and I ended the month "Afraid to Trade" as Corey puts it. I avoided nearly the entire last week as the market rallied nearly 20%!

There are a few things that I think went wrong in November. First, I got caught up in shorter and shorter time frames to the point that I was getting stopped out of trades within minutes. Losing money that quickly created anxiety, so I'd lower my position size after my first or second loss. Often, when I finally hit a winner, my position size was so small that it didn't make up for the losses I took on the first couple of trades--which created more anxiety.

Second, I think I've tried to cram too much information into too small a time frame. What I mean by that is that I've learned an enormous amount of trading setups, techniques, indicators, patterns, etc., and too often I try to cram them in to every trading day, and I end up making too many trades in a frantic bid to "trade them as I see them".

Third, I let too much "noise" affect my trading. I read far too many blogs, listed to too many news programs, and spent way too much time in stock forums. Nearly every single time, when I traded based on some outside influence, I lost money--often very quickly.

Fourth, I made too many trades--83 in all. I traded 65 times in August and made 23R.

Fifth, the market seemed a lot more volatile in November, and many of my setups just weren't compatible with the type of volatility that we were experiencing. I should have been much more patient with my trades, and allowed the day play out a little more before I committed money.

When I started day trading in August there were days where I couldn't find a good setup, and I would end the day without trading a single stock. Lately it seems that I find dozens of setups which all seem to go against me.

I think I am going to try and step back from the five minute time frame to the 30 minute time frame that I was trading in August. I tried that today, and although I didn't find any good setups, I was much more relaxed and really felt good about staying out of the market because nothing "looked right".

I guess I should still feel good about how I'm trading. Last November I lost 17% trading the Zweig screen, and most of that disappeared in one week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great summary & self analysis. I'm an ignoramous, but I think you hit on a lot here. Volatility right now is off the charts. Uncharted waters are difficult to navigate!

Good luck! Fascinating as always.