Monday, July 13, 2009

Stealth Trend Day in SPY



I really screwed today up. After my first awful trade, I should have gotten long right away. Instead I hesitated as prices continued to rise.

My first long trade didn't occur until about 2pm after 3 nice dojis had passed me by.

That would have been OK, because there were other opportunities to make money (every green circle), but I turned those opportunities into losses because I either held too long or moved my stop too close.

You can see that price rarely went below the 20 period moving average. When it did, at didn't go past it much and it never closed below. But I stopped out each time because I had my stop way too close.

Adding insult to injury, I played that last doji hoping for a new high on the day (which we got). But I accidentally went short instead of long. I got out without a huge loss, but I watched as price went to where I expected it would--without me.

If anyone tries to tell you that trading is easy, they're lying.

So, now SPY is exactly at resistance in the tightly wound 20 and 50 period moving averages. Tomorrow should be very interesting.

No comments: