Thursday, April 23, 2009

Yay! A new post for StockPunk

I'm sorry to the three of you that read my blog (not counting the 3,000 Anonymous haters). I haven't been posting much lately because my trading has sucked and I've been trying to figure out how to stop the bleeding.

I had a pretty good month of March, but I've given everything back and more during the month of April. So, out of that frustration, I kind of put writing on the blog on the back burner.

I've noticed that when I write about some of the frustrating trades that I've made that it encourages folks to scold me and tell me that I suck so I figured that it was best not to post while I sucked so that I didn't have to receive several comments confirming that indeed I do suck.
On to the lesson of the day. These charts aren't complete because the day isn't over, but I wanted to show a trade I made and how using the MACD I was able to determine a good exit point. I traded US Steel (X) using 15 minute candles. I was looking for a breakout of the opening range low because I thought that we were going to see a big down day all around. As soon as that first candle was broken, I got in. I placed my stop just beyond the 200 SMA which was nearly triggered before the stock headed in my favor.
I took partial profits at 1 R, and planned to hold until the end of the day. But I noticed a divergence on the MACD on the 5 minute chart. As price continued making new swing lows, momentum made new swing highs indicating that with each swing, sellers were less aggressive. At the third swing, I decided that the move was probably pretty much over and it was time to get out. At least I got one decent trade this month.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm a former professional trader that was big enough for the SEC to come in heavy after. I follow about a dozen blogs, and you are one of them, because you are original enough to trade off your own findings. Keep it up. One day you'll get your day in court.

Scott said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I needed it.

CashFlow358 said...

So you can get a better sense of at least who/how many people are paying attention to your blog...how about a clickable button at the end of a day's post. Something similar to what the Kirk report has? Leave out/off the rating aspect just make it so people can say they checked-in (Clicked-In?) that day. You are my first investment site of the day before I go onto the Kirk Report and then other data resources. As much as I look to you to demonstrate success, your candid sharing of your mistakes is no less—even more, valuable. -- Thank You.

Scott said...

CashFlow,

Thanks for the encouragement and the suggestions. I use SiteMeter to determine my blog traffic. I'm an exaggerator and a whiner, so things aren't really as bad as I make them out to be. If I'm the first person you look at for the day, I better start writing every day. I'll make more of an effort. Thanks again!!